Saturday, 11 August 2012

Who am I?

When I started my blog it was not to gain attention, but a tool to look back on. To me it highlights even when people say you are wrong, you are really right. No-one goes in search of cancer because cancer is our cellular make-up waiting to erupt. There is no magic button that can be turned on and off to this disease or at least not yet. But by me saying over a period of time you know I hope they have not missed something has left me open to more than one critic.

I am a women who knows her own mind and body. And I am not ashamed to admit the fact I knew my clash with cancer was not quite finished. After my recurrence diagnosis some people have said, but Sarah they cocked up. These people in some cases have been the very people spouting their mouths off about me wanting the full treatment which is harsh to say, but it was their reality of what my journey had become. Now all I receive is messages of I hope your treatment is not too bad. And I know your strong and you will get through this, but what if I don’t? What if I am not strong? People neglect the fact I am human with feelings, and right now I am lost because my fear has become my reality.
The path I am on now relies on one little plant called the Periwinkle. That plant innocent like myself that just wants to thrive in some forest is being propagated and cut up. It is seen as the saviour, but with deadly consequences a bit like me when I express my opinion on my blog. It’s origins are from the place where ring tail lemmas’ salute you with their tails.. a bit like the middle finger... The Madagascar Periwinkle produces vinca alkaloids that when injected into your artery targets those fast growing cells we fear, but also targets our vanity. It leaves a wake of destruction within our body by destroying anything that remotely resembles a cancer cell that includes hair. This is chemotherapy...
Did I go in search of that innocent plant.... to my critics’ No! Because who would want to destroy something so delicate.... yet so deadly.
On a lighter note I took myself for one whole day away from the prison I call home. Sophia’s needs still have to be met and my worries I have to encase behind a defiant smile, so into central London we go. First stop is Notting hill with a brisk walk down to Queensway. We stop off at the Spar and get a bite to eat and continue our journey into Kensington Gardens. We pass our grumbling tree and say hello followed by a couple of pictures to record our day.


Then to the round pond to give the remainder of our snack to the swans who were very grateful.

From there we follow the path down to the Serpentine to get a good gander at an Olympic marathon swimming race that was taking place.. Go Team GB!
Do take note of the no bathing sign in the image Pmsl!!!!

And grassed on two pick pockets that were eyeing up some women’s bag and mine to a lovely policeman. Once I had finished my civil duties I and Sophia walked along the Serpentine until we saw the Diana memorial Fountain. Sophia could not resist going for a paddle in its freezing waters, again another picture.

After 30 mins I encouraged Sophia out of the water to continue our walk down towards Knightbridge. As we walked I came across the Olympic Shop, so in we went for a nosey. We could not resist having a picture done with both of us holding an Olympic torch. Get in there!



Meantime I had arranged to meet up with a friend to chill out, so off we went walking through Hyde Park to Marble Arch. A stop off at Maccy D’s for some refreshments and toilet. There I meet my friend and after a little rest we head for the science museum, so we cut back threw Hyde Park heading to the Royal Albert Hall on foot. What should of taken 20 mins took 40 mins because a lot of the paths were closed to the public due to Olympics. Once we had reached the Science Museum we had to go in search of more refreshments, so we find another  place to sit and eat. Finally we arrive at the Science Museum and Sophia takes off into its galleries touching buttons and gadgets. I even get to play on a few bits myself. We go upstairs into the Who am I gallery... This is where I find my innocent little plant called the Periwinkle... Now that was a long damn walk to find out what will be coursing thru my veins don’t you think.... J

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, what is the name of the chemical they extract from the periwinkle for chemo? Lordy, I'll never look at my local groundcover version the same way again!

    Ah, sweet sister, I think about you every day. I wish the heck you and the periwinkle did not have to form such an intimate relationship, but I hope you come out of it without any active cancer.

    This just bites. I don't even feel like being philosophical about it. It bites. But I know you'll do what we do, which is to just put one foot in front of the other. What choice do we have? It's not about trying to be heroic. It's just life.

    Massive hugs. Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathi,

      If you type into the search bar all sorts comes up... They even use the Madagasca Periwinkle to treat diabetes.. I haven't done enough to check it all out yet, but I was amazed when reading it at the Science Museum in London..

      Delete