Me aged 6  and my Grandad Terry
We look at life without a care in the world when we are young or at least we try too. My life was a mixed batch of issues that led to nothing but tears. So for me to be diagnosed with breast cancer was just another hurdle that I personally had to jump over.
I live in London now, but I am originally from Scarborough, North Yorkshire. I moved to London in 2007 due to my husband Steve's work commitments.
On moving to London I became a qualified Youth Worker and worked within a young peoples theatrical theatre.
I was diagnosed with stage (0) breat cancer at the age of 39 in August 2009. The test results revealed Pagets and High grade wide spread DCIS all in situ. Three years later I was to be diagnosed with a recurrence of stage (III) cancer on MX July 2012... I am also a type 2 diabetic....

Writing and talking about breast cancer and it effects is helping me to develop a better understanding of the disease. That it is not a quick fix situation, but at times a long drawn out frustrating bombardment of appointments and biopsies.
I had the good fortune of meeting some very brave ladies on their very own personal journeys with this disease. All of which are looking for answers to move forward after treatment for breast cancer. These ladies I follow via their blogs or on my FB page as they battle this disease and its effects head on.
Why give my blog the title ‘Breast cancer lottery?’ well I fell in a 2% bracket.
It was mentioned that my cancer was the percentage for winning the UK lottery. Personally I would have sooner had the money than the journey I was to embark on.

My journey begins in my bedroom of all places beginning of January 2009. I asked my husband to check my right breast because I could feel an indentation. He ran his hands across the right breast and he could feel what I felt. I have always made a habit of checking my breasts at regular intervals. We do not have breast cancer in the family as far as I know, but it is better to be aware of subtle changes than not at all. My breasts are only small so any changes would be easily found.
So after a lengthy discussion with my husband we thought it be better to see the GP and get his opinion. I was going on holiday to Egypt with my youngest daughter in February and did not need the worry spoiling our time away.

The doctor checked both breasts and reassured me there was nothing to worry about. There were no lumps and this was most probably just normal changes in the breast tissue, but if I had any further worries just make another appointment and he would send me for a mammogram. I was satisfied with his prognoses and his reassurance that nothing was wrong. After all he was the expert not me.

I went to Egypt and had a fun time, but I noticed when in the shower on my left breast the nipple a small area on the tip had become cracked and sore. On closer inspection it looked a little angry. I had been rubbing the nipple so I put it down to water change and the examination the previous month. As far as I was concerned it was a chafe nipple and nothing to worry about.
I breastfed my youngest daughter and had suffered cracked nipple during that time. So I knew to let the air to the area as much as possible to help the nipple heal. I used the antiseptic cream I had brought along on holiday so it did not get infected.

When I returned home from Egypt I tried going without a bra around the house. This made no difference the nipple did not want to heal. Every time I wore anything that clung to my chest it would rip the newly formed scab off and I would have to start the process again. So I went to my chemist and bought Kamillosan chamomile ointment. It calmed it slightly but it did not heal so I turned back to antiseptic cream. After all, the GP reassured me there was nothing wrong on examination two months back. I persevered for five months trying to solve the problem, but then a swollen mass appeared at one side of my left breast near my arm pit.
Now the breast tissue can swell during menstrual periods so I gave it a week or so, but it did not go. Again I got my husband to check and he said I should go back to our doctor. I squeezed my nipple to see a brownish discharge I knew this was not right.
The following week I made another trip to the GP. He checked me over and said it’s most probably an infection in the breast so gave me anti-biotic to calm the swelling down. He wanted a full blood count done and to return once the anti-biotic had finished for the results. I was no stranger to my blood being tested because I am a type II diabetic.
One week later I returned to the GP surgery for my results he said I had slightly elevated progesterone levels which is a sign of breast feeding or something else. I assured the doctor I had stopped breast feeding when my youngest was fourteen months and my husband is not that adventurous hint, hint. He asked me to remove my top and bra to examine me further. The swelling had subsided a little, but was still noticeable by eye.
He then looked at me really serious. Jokes aside he was referring me to a hospital as a precautionary measure.

So two weeks later on the 15th August 2009 I had a letter to visit the breast clinic in West London and this is where my diary begins